This cover of Jason Molina’s Alone With The Owl has been playing non-stop since it started streaming from the Rock The Cause Soundcloud page. Â It appears as part of the tribute album for the late Molina that is set for release on April 22nd (pre-order via iTunes) – Farewell Transmission, The Music of Jason Molina. Â The album is a double disc with this song definitely being one of the standouts – there are 27 tracks so this thing is HUGE – and loaded with some of my favourite artists and some serious talent. Â I am glad Jaffe did this particular track because it is from Molina’s solo album Let Me Go Let Me Go Let Me GoÂ which is a personal all time favourite of mine and she does justice on her track from start to end.
The project has been coming for a little bit now and started with our good friend April over at Common Folk Music who got together with Chris Mateer of Uprooted Music Revue to plan a tribute to Molina. Â As you can see from the below tracklisting, they found some great acts to be part of it all. Â Seriously, these guys assisted in getting some great acts!! Â Rock the Cause is playing quarterback on the project and are releasing it via their non-profit label this coming April. Â Portions of the net proceeds will be sent to MusisCares and the Molina family respectively.
Disc Â 1
1. Get Out Get Out Get Out – Squares
2. Arm In Arm – Memorial Electric Co
3. Farewell Transmission – My Morning Jacket
4. Lioness – Enemy Planes
5. 7th Street Wonderland – Murder By Death
6. Alone With The Owl – Sarah Jaffe
7. Old Black Hen – Jonah Tolchin
8. Leave This City – Ben Lubeck of Farewell Milwaukee
9. Two Blue Lights – The Black Swans
10. Almost Was Good Enough – Bro Stephen ft. Jim James
11. Didnâ€™t It Rain – Box Of Baby Birds
12. Memphis Moon – Cory Branan
13. The Dark Donâ€™t Hide It – Gabriel Douglas ft. Drew Preiner
14. Iâ€™ve Been Riding With The Ghost – Fathom Lane
1. Trouble In Mind (Fade To Blue) – Memorial Electric Co
2. I Can Not Have Seen The Light – Matt Bauer and Heather McEntire
3. 34 Blues – Will Johnson and Briton Biesenherz
4. Hammer Down – Jim and Jennie & The Pinetops
5. Just Be Simple – Water Liars
6. Steve Albiniâ€™s Blues – Catherine Irwin
7. White Sulfur – Nathan Salsburg & Joan Shelley
8. Donâ€™t This Look Like The Dark – Wooden Wand
9. Heart My Heart Â – Luke Redfield
10. Lioness – Viking Moses
11. The Big Game Is Every Night – Bottomless Pit
12. Hold On Magnolia – Communist Daughter
13. John Henry Split My Heart – Jonny James and The Hall of Fames
Again, Sarah Jaffe’s tribute is standout – the clearly defined essence of Molina’s sound is felt immediately. Â The piano, sombre and haunting lead you down a path to the track, Jaffe comes in and beautifully translates those lyrics. Â Those lyrics that easily show a glimpse into what Molina must have been living with – while stunningly beautiful, they can be terrifyingly real. Â This is a great collection of songs for a great cause for an amazing musician.
I am sure you will find more updates on this tribute here on Slowcoustic by the time this comes out, so stick around and keep an ear out.